|There are 9 people with the Morris-Devere surname on MyHeritage.com|
|Is your surname Morris-Devere? Research Morris-Devere family|
Start your family tree now
For surname Morris-Devere
|The meaning of the name Morris-Devere:|
- English and Scottish: from Maurice, an Old French personal name introduced to Britain by the Normans, Latin Mauritius, a derivative of Maurus (see Moore). This was the name of several early Christian saints. In some cases it may be a nickname of the same derivation for someone with a swarthy complexion.
- Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Muirghis, a variant of Ó Muirgheasa (see Morrissey).
- Welsh: Anglicized form of the Welsh personal name Meurig (from Latin Mauritius), which was gradually superseded in Wales by Morus, Morys, a derivative of the Anglo-Norman French form of the name (see 1).
- German: variant of Moritz.
- Americanized form of any of various like-sounding Jewish surnames (see Morse).
|Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, Mar 2003|